I have compared downloading a file (via ftpfs) on the LAN, and
downloading it from the WAN.

On the LAN, I get the 10MB file in less than a 1s (this is normal since
the node I download from has only a 100Mb ethernet).

On the WAN, it takes 6 minutes (with hget).

My conclusion is that the card device (driver) is not at fault but that
something is wrong along the path when I get through the gateway.

Has somebody an idea about what I may do wrong or what could cause such
a cost on the gateway.

I have set IPv6 on the gateway: no difference. I have tried to disable
IPv6 on the ether: no difference.

ip/traceroute to the outside server shows results that are on par
with what I get from NetBSD on this very node where I run also
plan9.

"Something" is obviously wrong. But "what" is less obvious (at least to
me).

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/