To add to the previous comments, I'm a huge fan of Nemo's “Introduction to
Operating Systems Abstractions”:

https://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

It's just a brilliant guide to finding your way around the system, and
doing some programming in it, especially if you're not a kernel-head and
talk of "ring 0" makes your brain hurt.

Not that my being a huge fan of anything of anything is in general a
recommendation, but in this case I'm right.