Hello All,

I am learning the 9p protocol and implementing a 9P server. After reading the
9p manual page, the types of messages and much of the overview is clear. There
are a number of items that are less clear.

For example, it took some time to figure out how to provide a directory
structure on a Tread.

Lately, I’m looking at the “iounit.” Initially, I had thought of it as a way to
give the size of a file on Topen. After some testing I realized that the
network subsystem in plan9 is expecting the iounit to be large enough to write
commands into a /net/tcp ctl file. With a small iounit, the network subsystem
truncates the commands, such as “connect xyz|1234” to match the size of the
iounit.

So, what is this mysterious iounit? Is there another man page or plan9 document
that describes it in more detail?

Thanks,
Chris