A C compiler that supports the latest spec would be nice as long as it doesn't
sacrifice compile times. I like how quickly the system can recompile itself.
Maybe extend pcc to include new features?

Go works pretty well and is on its way to be a supported platform. I use it
quite frequently on 9front.

For git, there's a wrapper script for github and others. But yes, a fuller
featured git would be good. There are some projects trying to do that in Go.
Maybe that'll work someday.

Mercurial is already there on 9front via python.

Chris