I wondered if one could make a logical argument that says, one could use a
combination of hashes that have different collision resistances (e.g.
SHA1⊕MD5) for each file, extending to any number of hashes to satisfy that
the combination is unique for all files...

So I did a little research, and the short answer is NO!  It turns out that
the combined hash would be no better than the best of the hash functions in
the combo:

http://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/270/guarding-against-cryptanalytic-breakthroughs-combining-multiple-hash-functions

The Internet is a wonderful thing.