On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, at 6:17 AM, 刘宇宝 wrote:

> > On Jun 25, 2018, at 5:33 PM, Ethan A. Gardener <eeke...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >

> > I picked up an idea from microapl.com, workspaces.  Saving system
> > state is one of my goals for my OS, and the concept of workspaces
> > pertaining to separate tasks keeps popping up when I get ideas.  For
> > those who don't know, it's this:
> >

> Lisp and Smalltalk both have similar thing,  dump whole image (or
> "world") to disk and load to memory next time.

I was sure something else saved the world ( :) ) too, but I couldn't remember.
Of course Lisp and Smalltalk do it. It is a bit of a risk doing it in Forth
because memory corruption is more likely, but I think it can work with careful,
not-too-simple saving code -- checksums perhaps.

> The GUI of Lisp Machine and Squeak looks elegant, of course Rio is very
> elegant too :-)
>
> * https://static.loomcom.com/genera/genera-install.html
> * https://squeak.org/

Squeak is another thing I "should have" properly tried. It was the basis for
this 3D environment where, instead of sending all the data to all clients, code
snippets were sent instead. The clients were synchronized so they all rendered
the same. Moving around made me dizzy, though.

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer