What are you running this on, is this byron's rc on unix?

I just tried the secript I posted, cut and pasted into a
tiny shell scropt called testread, and it just worked™

maybe some other part of your script has a problem?

My script below
-----snip-----snip-----
#!/bin/rc

cat $1 | while(line=`{read}){
echo $line
}

-----snip-----snip-----

Also, I didn't have the time to read all of your previous question,
but I think what you are after is $"varname, this expands to the value
of the variable but as a single argument, no matter if it, when
it was assigned, had multiple, white space seperated words in it.

for example:  (NB: hugo% is my prompt)

        hugo% fred=(a b c d)

        hugo% echo $fred^-letter
        a-letter b-letter c-letter d-letter