> If you mean the go compiler itself, hopefully the 2GB VM you
> get on 9p/pi4 is enough to compile the compiler using a
> cross-compiled bootstrap compiler.

The compiler can compile itself natively on a pi2 or pi3.
No need to activate swap space, unless you want to run the
full test suite.

> Another option worth exploring may
> be AOE as pi4 has a GbE (I haven't tried this yet).

My go test builders are running with "local" fossil on a slice
of disk provided over AoE from an atom server.  I tried various
configurations and this gave me the best performance.  This is
with 3B+ machines on "gigabit" ethernet throttled by rubbish usb.

Pi4 has proper GbE, but also has usb3 so a local ssd drive might
be a practical alternative.  More experiments to do.