With a USB3 SSD I have been able to get over 200MB/s sequential (under linux,
on RPI4).
You can get a TB SSD for under $150 that can theoretically do 540MB/s (on a
USB3.1 but
pi4 is usb3 so half the peak throughput). For a venti server your bottleneck
will be the GBe.

I haven't been able to run Richard's latest image (may have to do with eeprom
updates I did)
so no idea what 9pi does as yet.