09.04.2021 23:45:47 Xiao-Yong Jin <meta....@gmail.com>:
On Apr 9, 2021, at 12:57 PM, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9f...@sirjofri.de> wrote:

Writer's Workbench

https://git.sr.ht/~sirjofri/wwb9

(Works on 9, but I need to make it better for different platforms and some tools need adjustments. Send patches.)

What exactly is the license?  Even just reading code of unclear license could get many people in trouble.

TL;DR: "non-commercial
copying, distribution, performance, display or creation of derivative works" is allowed.

Sadly the license is not open-source! That's why I added the note and didn't change much, especially not the license notes. I also didn't add license information on purpose, so people like you will have to ask and search for more info.

See this document for more info about why I felt free to port it: https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Norman_v9/statement_regarding_Unix_3-7-17.pdf

"will not assert its copyright rights with respect to any non-commercial
copying, distribution, performance, display or creation of derivative works"

If I understand that correctly I should be fine and the distribution of the port is legal under the mentioned terms, but of course I cannot simply change the license. It is _not_ my code nor my software, I just made it work on 9 and added some rc files. My additions can be considered as open source, but I'm not sure if I can just state that in the repo.

I should add some notes about the original source and the statement, I think.

I hope this helps. I don't think I can help more than that, and Ianal. If you need help with the software you can ask, of course.

When testing, I should mention it works on 9front. I didn't test it on any other fork, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

sirjofri

Btw I'd love to release it under an open source license, if I can. These tools are old, but still helpful and can be used in comparison with modern tools, maybe even in combination and for developing better tools in the future.