> Anyone know if this project went anywhere?
>
> https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~412/lectures/L05_Purge_Proposal.pdf

Sadly, not.  One issue is that modern Android releases don't
support 32-bit executables, and at the time that project was
attempted Inferno was somewhat 32-bit (I haven't looked since).

But I think I saw some recent-ish Inferno-on-Android activity here:

  https://github.com/bhgv/Inferno-OS-bhgv

If wide availability, meaning being able to have a phone UI running
on random cheap Android phones, is a goal, you'd presumably want
to target one or more vendor releases of Android.

But if a low-cruft solution were desired, it might be desirable to
target AOSP or GrapheneOS.  Both of those boot *dramatically* faster
than vendor ROMs, and it's because there is just less code.

Between the two of them, GrapheneOS might be better: it doesn't run
on a lot of phones, but some of them are cheap enough, and switching
from the vendor ROM to GrapheneOS is easy enough.  Compared to AOSP,
GrapheneOS has some genuine usability features, e.g., a usable
backup/restore solution.

Hopefully some of this is useful.  Sorry I can't provide more!

Dave Eckhardt