> Sorry that doesn't seem to work either. I've tried sdB0, sdB1,
> sdC0, sdC1, sdD0, sdD1, sdE0, sdE1 . . . but the issue persists.

That appears to be a dead end.

To answer your earlier question, you could use dd (or pump(1)) to
copy the usb image to your hard drive, if you're happy to sacrifice
all the existing partitions on the hard drive. Or, for more control over
the final configuration, you could create an empty fossil partition on the
hard drive and copy the usb filesystem contents to it, using mkfs | mkext
or replica/pull.

Alternatively, I have an experimental 4e/9legacy installer which runs from
a usb flash drive instead of a cdrom. It's been used successfully on an
X230 and an X60s. If you get in touch with me off-list, I can give you a
copy and some instructions.