On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 08:14:44PM +1300, umbrati...@prosimetrum.com wrote:
> > small ones seem to me like a pain to point, and the large ones look
> > like hard to make chords with the big ball in the middle. Could you
> > share your experience?
>
> I use a Kensington Expert which I guess falls into the big
> ball in the middle category.  Honestly, most of the time I
> click/chord with my left hand on the thinkpad's trackpad
> buttons while rolling the ball with my right hand, but
> chording with the trackball buttons is also fine.  The
> scrollwheel thing is pretty nice too.

My pointing device on the desktop is an L-TRAC trackball, currently sold
by xkeys.com.  It's definitely in the 'big ball in the middle' category
but the buttons are mostly huge enough to make up for it -- I've never
found myself straining to reach anything, but I will admit the extension
ports allowing more buttons to be scattered around the desktop is a nice
bonus.  I don't recommend the LED-lit models, as they're brighter than
the goddamn sun, and trackball itself is translucent so it just shines
like a beacon.  I replaced my ball with a 9-ball to mitigate the glare.

khm