On 7/22/22 12:06, Sebastian Higgins wrote:
> A few things:
>
> 1.  Cangjie is still widely used in places that uses traditional Chinese
> characters. You would still be required to be good at it if you apply for
> text-heavy office jobs in these places.
> 2.  Radical-based/shape-based methods were extremely popular when the
> prediction technology wasn't as good (which means Pinyin was significantly
> slower). It wasn't until late 2000s to early 2010s before this situation has
> changed.
> 3.  Pinyin without prediction is slow because of what we called the 重码 (lit.
> "overlap of encoding") problem. For Pinyin the encoding overlaps because many
> characters may have the same Pinyin; the purpose of all shape-based method is
> to reduce the overlap problem and thus increase the input speed.
> 4.  ctrans uses cangjie because (1) implementing shape-based methods was
> much, much more simpler than phonetic-based methods because most (if not all)
> of the job is table lookup; (2) if we were to use the same UI (or lack
> thereof) as ktrans the overlap-of-encoding problem of Pinyin would very
> probably drive you nuts when using it; (3) it is the input method the author
> uses, however I do admit using Cangjie for simplified Chinese input is kinda
> peculiar.
>
> Source: me who is a native Chinese speaker and have learned Wubi (a
> shape-based method for simplified Chinese) in primary school.

I had taken a naive attempt at trying getting ktrans to support a form
of Chinese input. Admitably, my interest was mostly in stress testing
my rewrite of the hashmap used in ktrans, throwing a ~100k character
dictionary at it seemed like a fun way to test it. The dictionary I
imported was one that used Wubi based mapping for charters, posted
by jxy to the 9front mailing list a week or so ago.

If anyone is curious the dictionary itself can be found here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fcitx/fcitx-table-data/master/wbx.txt

This has been super interesting to me from a learning perspective.

Thanks for the insight!
Jacob Moody