On 1/24/24 19:53, Don A. Bailey wrote:
> Tbf I took it as genuine.
>
> One reason I responded with no is that Rob noted that further 9 releases
> should not be a release at all, but should be fluid updates through the
> network. I think if 9 lives on it should be that was, as intended.

I have a hard time following what "fluid updates through the network" is
supposed to mean.
If you mean that patches should be made by the community then that is exactly
what 9front is.

> I am not a fan of the weird 9front split from the standard repo. I’d prefer
> the sources to be managed by the foundation and would like to only receive
> patches through them.

Why do you dislike 9front? 9front works with the foundation, we have a regular
committer who is directly
in the foundation.

>> On Jan 24, 2024, at 8:50 PM, vic.thac...@fastmail.fm wrote:
>>
>> To clarify, my message represented a genuine exploration of the idea of
>> envisioning a new release.
>>
>> --vic

9front is exactly what you're envisioning, we keep the system up to date to
keep it working in the
modern world. Modern hardware support, modern compatibility with software as
required, all this stuff.

I don't know where you folks think the code is going to come from, there really
isn't that much activity
outside of 9front. If you want to personally take up the lead and fix
everything bug-for-bug starting
again from 4e or 9legacy be my guest. But all I see here is asking for others
to do the work.

- moody