26.01.2024 10:49:42 Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde...@fjrhome.net>:

> From my perspective, Plan 9 was split into two forks: 9legacy for people who
> don't want it to move forward but simply to be maintained, and 9front for
> people who want the project to move forward and continue to grow.
>
> Having a core team for "Plan 9" at this point would be kind of pointless as
> the name was a real product at one time but now encompasses a collection of
> related forks of what was once a product, so such a team would need to form
> around one particular fork.
>
> Having a core team basically expresses the goal of moving the project
> forward, so if a core team were to form right now, it would be for 9front, or
> around a new fork with a similar set of common ideals (maybe we move on to
> Plan 10?), since moving forward is kind of the antithesis of what 9legacy
> seems to be about.

That sounds about right. Basically everything you said.

Any attempt to release an official new edition of Plan 9 would be a fork.

I personally think it is ok for 9legacy to just maintain the original version
and not move the project forward. I think 9front tries to stay as compatible as
possible at runtime (so same binary formats, same protocols, basically Plan 9
4th "plus").

What OP wants might include breaking changes that break compatibility on some
system layers. Probably not on a level of protocols or something, but
filesystems might change, probably a complete new window manager, graphics
acceleration, a different plumber and lots and lots of more "modern" software
(anyone wanna port firefox or chrome? ;) ). That might really be a Plan 10 at
some point.

I very much believe that this should be a fork, probably with some kinda
package manager to make larger parts optional. Not everyone needs everything.
Plan 9 as it is right now can include many things without asking, because
they're so small. Imagine bundling a 100M graphics driver with Plan 9,
including the source! No, thanks.

Back to topic with some question to the OP (and please, please, don't take it
personally or something): Is it possible that you want to contribute to Plan 9
but don't know where to start? I remember, when I started with Plan 9, I wanted
to improve many things, contribute everything I could, until I realized that
many things are like they are on purpose. I was often grounded by people like
ori, hiro, mycroftiv, kvik and a few others on grid, as well as cat-v. I
learned that being part of Plan 9 does not necessarily mean contributing large
chunks of code, or changing many things to be "better" (whatever better means).

sirjofri

P.S.: sorry Frank, I clicked the wrong reply button. Of course this should go
to the mailing list.