I was able to remove the black border by appending the following lines to
config.txt:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
hdmi_cvt=1920 1080 60 3 0 0 1
framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080
max_framebuffer_width=1920
max_framebuffer_height=1080

The lesson I learned was that the Pi needs to be physically powered off after
making changes to the config file. ctrl-t ctrl-t r is not sufficient.

/