Hey all,

Just about one topic mentioned by ibrahim:

You mentioned that 9front can't be plan 9 in your perspective because of this
licensing and the "origin" of the licensing.

> 9front isn't plan9 from my perspective. Plan 9 is the final release with
> patches for the files from sources I can be sure that those aren't taken from
> open source projects by copy and paste.
[1]

I would make a big difference between what plan 9 is and what the licenses are.
Software doesn't care about licenses. People do (and they should!).

So what is plan 9 even? Can we compare it to UNIX™ or unix or posix? Who
knows...

I guess I could say a lot more about that topic, but I guess that's enough and
you can puzzle everything else yourself.

[1] (I would be very careful with such bold words. I feel like 9front people
have heard this phrase a lot and it's probably very thin ice for a few people.)

---

About another topic: you mentioned that plan 9 is in use for commercial
products, and you explicitly mention german medical sensors. I've never heard
about that and I'd like to learn more, as well as about other companies who
actually use plan 9.

Everything I always hear in the industry is that plan 9 is outdated and nobody
uses it and nobody wants to hear about it. I only know of a single company that
uses it (coraid), plus a few little projects by taw that could evolve into
commercial products.

I sometimes thought about building a list of companies that use plan 9
technology, just so people can get involved with them, and now that I'm
searching for a new job that's even more interesting for me personally. (Not
sure if I want to do plan 9 as $dayjob, but I could see it as an option.) That
topic should end up in a new thread however (or even a DM).

sirjofri