> i'm curious what straightforward storage structure wouldn't be. trying to
> second-guess ssd firmware seems a tricky design criterion.

Designing for minimal disk stress: Never rewrite data already written to disk.
Now we have big and quite cheap main memory.

I don't critisize the historical design choices. But times have changed.

If I had to design a venti now, I would drop the variable length blocks for 8k
blocks (or whatever blocksize a modern fossil would use).
Further, I would store the data directly into disk blocks.. In a parallel log I
would store the scores, so that the scores and blocks just can be referenced by
the block number.
At start up, read the score file and construct a memory search tree for a
suitably shorted part of the score. (See Mechiel Lukkien's memventi).