On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:27:47PM +0100, Dave Lukes wrote:
> A wake and memorial will be forthcoming in some form.

How awful.  I liked Boyd.  He was quite a character....

Boyd was very into military things; he wore cammies and picked up
various military type gadgets.  He often chose the names of characters
from war movies as his IRC handles (I remember, `Master Gunnery
Sergeant Hartman', a promotion of the crazy Drill Instructor character
played by R. Lee Ermey in Stanley Kubrick's, `Full Metal Jacket': `I am
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your Senior Drill Instructor...').

When I was still on active duty in the US Marine Corps, Boyd took a
trip to Normandy for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day.  He sent me a stone
he'd picked up from Omaha Beach.  I was very touched by the gesture.

I believe Bruce saw him recently and spent some time at his flat.
Despite his bravado, which put people off at times, I think he was
fundamentally a good guy.  This is a shame and a big loss.

        - Dan C.