On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:53:06PM -0600, erik quanstrom wrote:
> | Please note that this definition of DIV and MOD differs from the
> | definition given in [M. Reiser, N. Wirth. Programming in Oberon. p.
> | 36]:
> | x  = (x DIV y) * y + (x MOD y), and
> | 0 <= (x MOD y) < y
> |
> | So, what *is* -5 MOD 3?
> |

> -2

Are you sure?  It looks to me more than it'd be +1.  Wirth's definition
above would tend to indicate that x MOD y is always positive, unless I'm
reading it wrong, or that's not the whole story (and I confess I'm too
lazy to look up the definitions in context).  If I'm right, that would
also imply that x DIV y tends more wards negative infinity than zero
for negative numerators.

        - Dan C.