regarding structure of the information that is exchanged, which i
think Roman asked about.  one can conventionally require all fs to
provide a control file that when read, returns a dictionary of what
the fs can grok.  then the messages would follow the dictionary
format.

a while ago we had an internal discussion and brucee pointed out
that UBF's concepts would be a better choice than xml/xml-schema
business.

http://www.sics.se/~joe/talks/pittsburgh_2002_ubf.pdf