>> If the Inferno people had decided to 'update' mash instead of writing sh(1)
>for the record, i believe that i wrote the inferno shell before mash was
>written

nothing to do with 9fans, but since the matter has surfaced here:
the only real trouble with mash for Vita Nuova at the time was that the group
from which we acquired Inferno in its fire sale was not really on speaking terms
with the group that by then contained its author (brucee),
and rather than creating an incompatible variant of mash,
we had roger continue work on his, since we needed something more than
the original Inferno sh (or felt we did).  despite brucee's own efforts we
never did
get even as far as a talk about talks with the right people in the other groups
involved.

anyway, as to the archaic nature of shells.
        >i also find it bizarre that you can call rc "old cruft"...

i supposed that was a reference to the fact that the style of these shells
hasn't
changed all that much since 1977.