Why not just have a file that a client reads that lets the client know
of changes to files.

client opens this server-provided file ("changes"? "dnotify"?)

Server agrees to send client info about all FIDS which client has
active that are changing. Form of the message?
fid[4]offset[8]len[4]

It's up to the client to figure out what to do.

if the client doesn't care, no extra server overhead.

no new T*, no callbacks (which i can tell you are horrible when you
get to bigger machines -- having an 'ls' take 30 minutes is no fun).
No leases.

The fact is we have loose consistency now, we just don't call it that.
Anytime you are running a file from a server, you have loose
consistency. It works ok in most cases.

ron