> > why use plan 9 at all?  why not just install linux or freebsd?
>
> because, like it or not, lack of some familiar apps is a barrier to
> entry for many, if not most, of the people I show Plan 9 to. That
> said,
> I would probably draw the line at KDE ... but not at emacs.

i'm not arguing with your point.  i think it's a good one, although
not my style.  but on a practical level, how do you get any of the
plan 9 graphical apps to work if you're running x11/kde on top of
plan 9?  conversely, how do you educate kde on the ways of plan 9.

since it's a environment, not just an application, i would think
it a lot harder than your strawman of emacs.  perhaps that's just
my narrow thinking.

- erik