>  Treating image as character (with unusual width and height) means
> indefinite number of potential characters and if a machine (not human)
> does not able to differentiate between "text characters" and "image
> characters" it renders character sets unusable.

Sure, but the idea is that the actual description of the image lies in
a different layer (no, I don't have any idea how these will be linked)
and only a descriptive placeholder will appear at the relevant
coordinates (recall that I'm advocating a two-dimensional
representation to replace the current linear simplification).

But your point is certainly relevant.  And I'm only tossing ideas
around, no deep theories involved.

++L