On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Michael Andronov wrote:

Hi,

I'm a new to Plan9, and I am trying to understand the current status of the system.
In particular, I am wondering about the list of application available=
- is there  email reader?

Several ways to do this, but to set up:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Mail_configuration/index.html

- Web browser?

The most actively developed is abaco. Type, on the command line:
        9fs sources
        /n/sources/contrib/fgb/root/rc/contrib/install fgb/contrib
        contrib/install fgb/abaco
Then type
        abaco http://website.com/
You will need the http://.

- office like suite = document editor, spreadsheet?

Document editor is troff. There is no built-in spreadsheet, just maintain a text database. There are resources for learning troff; http://www.troff.org/ is a good place to start.

- is it possible to run Linux software under plan9?

Yes, there is an in-development program called linuxemu. I don't have much info on it, though.

In other words, I am wondering if it is possible to switch to Plan 9 system, and to use it as 'everyday machine'?

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

have a great day,
Michael.