Hence, writing the loader for Plan 9's a.out proved to be a challenge.

I ended up writing a user-space program that padded out the required
gap between TEXT and DATA before asking the kernel to execute it.
Suboptimal, but it works.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can improve the situation, i'll be
grateful.

What's the context that you're building this loader for?

I'm building a sort of reverse linuxemu, call it plan9emu if you will. I want to be able to run plan 9 binaries on linux without any modification. I've gotten as far as catching the syscalls, but the binary still has to be modified (padded).

--
Anant