Hi all,

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 08:40:42PM +0100, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
wrote:
> Yeah, technically someone with a USRP could seed a 20 minute airwave dump,
> and you could replay it into whatever software you were using, but again, it
> wouldn't be as fun.. Not sure about the legal implication either :S This is
> what the guys at THC did tho back in 2008 I believe...

Anyone with a Siemens BS-11 and OpenBSC (which is more than 70 people in this
"open GSM community") can run a cell that does encryption, and more recently
even with frequency hopping.

Running a USRP1 or USRP2 in the vicinity while making phoen calls and
sending/receiving SMS on that cell is also possible for many of those
people.

There are no legal issues working with such a set of test data!

And regarding the "not as much fun" aspect:  Whether or not you have the
hardware will not change your ability to improve the codebase.  I think
people fool themselves by buying+owning the hardware, testing it with
airprobe and then simply waiting for somebody else to improve the software.

Why not do it the other way around: improve the software and once you
have reached your goal, reward yourself with buying the hardware. Or
alternatively: See the reward by everyone else being happy about the
improved code, and then start to work on less expensive hardware,
if there really is a need for it.  But that new hardware without better
software will not make it any easier for other people to play with
airprobe.

--
- Harald Welte <lafo...@gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/