--------

Atte Andr=E9 Jensen writes:

|  > Y'know, I've gotten a number of email messages  from  jazz  musicians
|  > wondering  the  same  thing.   ...
|
|  And one of them is me! What stalled me is the issue of copyright. I would
|  not have an official collection of abc's on my sitespace without that in
|  place.=20

My experience so far says that this may not be that big a deal.  Make
sure  that  your main page has a notice to the effect that you aren't
sure of the copyright status of a lot of the tunes,  and  anyone  who
knows should send you email. Also say that if a tune's rightful owner
objects to it being there, you will remove it and replace it  with  a
copyright notice.  And, most important, say that an alternative is to
add a copyright notice, email address and URL to the ABC  headers  if
they prefer.

In my various email contacts with tune writers, so far I've had  only
one  who  didn't  want  their tune in ABC on my site.  What typically
happens is that they don't have a clue about ABC.  So I send them  my
brief intro, and also a copy of their tune in ABC. I ask them to edit
it, and to suggest the copyright notice, email address and URL they'd
like  to  see  in  it.   They  invariably  send  it  back  with  this
information. I think that most people realize pretty quickly that the
ABC  file is not really much of a competition for a printed copy, and
is no competition at all for any recordings.  They also realize  that
having  their  email address and URL in the file is free advertising.
It is that, but it's also attribution that I like to see  in  all  my
ABC files.

I'd bet that the composers of jazz tunes will mostly respond the same
way.  Be prepared to send them a brief intro to ABC.  I have a couple
at:
   http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/doc/
You can copy them, and modify them however you like, maybe  with  one
of the jazz standards as the example.

Chances are that you'll also be asked to remove one or two tunes, but
if  you're  prepared  for  that  and  have  a friendly notice to that
effect, you probably don't have any real legal worries.

And the few who don't give you permission are probably hurting  their
own pocketbooks.  I've received a fair number of requests for printed
copies of the tunes in my collection.   I'd  guess  that  Henrik  and
Richard  and  the  owners  of  other  large  ABC  sites also get such
requests.  So far, I've said "No" and referred people to some of  the
music  publishers and book sellers.  Ultimately, online stuff doesn't
really hurt sales of printed  copies,  because  books  are  just  too
convenient (as long as they open flat on a music stand ;-).

The main thing that online archives do is make it easier  for  people
to find what they want. A guaranteed reaction to finding tunes online
is "I like these tunes; where can I find more like  them?"  If  there
are  links  that lead to the printed copies of tune collections, they
will also lead to sales.  You want to educate the publishers to this,
as subtly as you can.

So my advice is to put what you have online now. And send me the URL.
Or  post  it  to this list and any other relevant lists that you know
of, with maybe a hint that you'd like to find others to help with the
online jazz fake-book project. And collect URLs for online sellers of
the printed fakebooks.  If they give you any hassle,  just  let  them
know  that  if  you can't include a few of their tunes, you will also
remove the link to their site.