James Allwright wrote:

>When I first introduced the V: field into abc2midi, the syntax was very
>simple:
>
>V:<voice number>
>
>Since then, people have added extra fields after the voice number, which
>is where the complication arises. Could we all agree on this first
>bit ? Simple parsers can then just ignore extra fields.

When I added the V: field to BarFly I considered that the voice which
follows a V: label was a part of the field, so I allowed it to follow
on directly after the space which delimits the number.  This is nice,
because the voices get grouped closely together, and you can align
the notes vertically to make it easy to see which notes are playing
simultaneously.  If you do this, however, you do have to allow inline
fields in the bit of the tune on the same line as the V: field.

BarFly doesn't require this;  you can write the music either on the
same line as the V: field or on the following line, but the former
makes for compact and readable music, and I would like to retain it
as an option.  (It's not difficult to program;  you just have to treat
a space following the voice number as equivalent to a line end.)

Phil Taylor