> The problem with this has been that, while we did get long,  rambling
> discussions,  we rarely actually reached any conclusions.  Then Chris
> Walshaw suggested that we start working on an official  new  version.
> This triggered a number of repeats of earlier discussions, which also
> didn't seem to be leading to an actual new standard.

I spent several years on an ANSI (American National Standards) committee.  We were
responsible for the ASCII coding standard and other similar standards.  We too, spent
what
seemed like endless hours on procedural issues instead of content issues.  We had no/
few
internet connections at the time so we had to flame each other in person.

In any case, the ANSI governing body had a procedural rule that stated (in effect):
"Every three years each standard must revised or be reaffirmed without change ".

If ABC has a governing body they might do well to adopt this approach.  If you can't
sell
your ideas for improvement within the three year cycle the existing ideas would remain
in
place for developers.