From: Wil Macaulay wrote

> When tuning a fiddle, I use an electronic tuner for the A string, then
> tune the other strings by ear to the fifth.  Seems to me that ends up
> a little sharp on E and a little flat on the D, according to the tuner.

The fiddle gets really complicated.  Not only does the bow force the
oscillations but if you bow across two strings, the two strings, coupled by
bridge and bow, affect each other as well.  On top of that the compliance of
the bridge is different in different directions, so each string would really
like to produce two slightly different notes with significantly different
damping.
L.