Phil Taylor wrote:

> BarFly's macro processor does take lengths.  You have to write
> a separate macro for each length of note.  The reason for this
> is that an ornament which sounds right on a half note is often
> wrong on an eighth.

I'm confused now. Suppose I had definitions for `Mn' and `Mn2'. What
would happen (a) for `Mc' (b) for `Mc2' (c) for `Mc4' in the body of
a tune? The interesting point is whether the `n' includes a length or
not.

> What the current Barfly version
> does when it encounters a macro on a note with an accidental is to place
> the accidental on the first ocurrence of the principal note in the
> expansion. [...]
>
> BarFly doesn't do this; rather it expands the macros in reverse order
> to the order in which the definitions are listed.

I've put a version of abcmac which is fixed in these two respects on my
web page at `http://anselm.our-isp.org/abcmac/abcmac'.

> Maybe we can get abc2midi to process the Goldberg Variations?

We could try ...

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I