>I remember fantasising, a couple of years ago, about a usenet-style
>network of intercommunicating, self-updating abc tune-servers.

To avoid the necessity of having a "grand guru" or an Abc office
center authorizing personnal identification number, I propose we
could think of a logical code deriving from our country, area, and
/or town etc. For the countries we could use a number, like those
used in Isbn book code, but it's not really speaking, so we could
use the internet code or the classification used in genealogy.

for the country we have :
http://www.geneanet.com/countrycode.php3?lang=fr (links to
regional code for some countries)

and for regions in France :
http://www.geneanet.com/genealogie/fr/countrycode/country/FRA

In canada and Usa :
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/3699/gen_form.html

So I come from France, Champagne (Aube). My code could begin like
that :

FRA.CHA.10

I may also add the first letters of my town, or the postal code :
Fra.Cha.10.Tro
The problem is for huge town, with several abcusers. Why not
adding the first letters of the name ? Fra.Cha.10.Tro.For
But it's quite a long code.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to use this code in the
X: field, because some programs get upset with this (for example a
 %text is removed after saving tune if it is on the X: line in
AbcMus). The Z: field is for the transcriver, so we ought to use
it. In an other hand, increasing the X:number to a 8 number code
could be a good idea, for identifing volumes, music style etc. in
an abc collection.