BarFly's macro mechanism provides part of what I need.  I can define
two separate macro files, each defining a "q" macro, one containing
the line:

   m: q con moto = [Q:1/4=120]

and the other:

   m: q con moto = "^Con Moto"

and then use the definition in a tune file like this:

   X:1
   T:test
   M:C
   L:1/4
   K:C
   q con moto
   cdec|]

which when I get the program to expand macros, becomes

   X:1
   T:test
   M:C
   L:1/4
   K:C
   [Q:1/4=120]
   cdec|]

for playback if I choose the first macro file or

   X:1
   T:test
   M:C
   L:1/4
   K:C
   "^Con Moto"
   cdec|]

for printing if I choose the second macro file.

The problems with that are:

- it's a hack

- there's no syntax identifying the macros as tempo constructs

- I can't put the required macros at the top of the file (I don't
  understand this, it works for other macros as in Phil's Goldberg
  Variations example) - they have to be in a separate file

- there's nothing like a #include construct to link a file to the macros
  it needs - the linkage has to be done through application preferences

- I can only use this in tune bodies since macros don't work in headers
  (not much of a problem for me, maybe would be for other people)

- it would be much nicer if BarFly never printed numerical tempi in the
  first place; that way I could get away with just one macro file

- I'd hate to ask anybody else to do it.

But I'd *much* rather insist on people going through those hoops, and
additionally restrict them to using software that can handle Barfly-
style macros, than hardwire my interpretive guesses till the end of time.
So, in the absence of any discernible progress, I think I'll just start
doing it, and put a pair of suitable macro files on my website that you
will have to use to make sense of anything I upload from now on.

Note, this mechanism subsumes the suggestions made for constructs that
would put the tempo indication in a distinctive typeface, because the
quoted-string mechanisms of programs that allow multiple typefaces can
be invoked by whatever I put on the RHS of a macro definition.