> The up tempo feel of The Girl I Left Behind Me (known as Brighton Camp
> around here, I live ten miles from Brighton) is anticipation -
>    And if the night be ever so dark
>    Or ever so wet and windy
>    I must return to the Brighton Camp
>    And the girl I left behind me.
> Adjust windy to rhyme. That was the pronunciation in Shakespeares time.

It's a good bit later than that - Seven Years War, I think.  See
Lewis Winstock, "Songs and Music of the Redcoats", for the story.
OED says the modern pronunciation of "wind" dates to the eighteenth
century, which would fit.

> King of the Fairies English?!

I thought it was Irish, but it's a variant of an older tune, "Gilderoy",
which is first documented from Scotland but could equally well be English.

There are stacks of variants in the same family: "The Cuckoo's Nest"
(a.k.a. "Come Ashore Jolly Tar With Your Trousers On") is another one,
which if I remember right is traceable back to Elizabethan England.
More recent ones are "Dinky's Reel" and "Loch Torridon".

> I played this last night along  with about twenty other people in a
> warm friendly pub and I still felt shivers down my spine.  This is
> a tune you do not play at midnight in a churchyard under a full moon
> for fear of who (or what) you might summon up.

I'd never thought of it like that (usually played pretty fast round
here); it's a conception that adds quite a bit to the tune.  Will try
playing it slower and more reflectively in future.