From: Frank Nordberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] Re: OT: hornpipes

Laurie Griffiths wrote:

> Yeah.  There are some old music history books that claimed  that  the
> Irish  got  the jig from the Italian tarantella.  The explanation for
> this seems to have been  that  the  historians  didn't  believe  that
> anyone  in  the  British  Isles  had  the  brains  to invent anything
> themselves, so they must have got it from more cultured people.

Well, people all over the world have always had a tendency to look
abroad for "exotic" dance music (the French/English branle-contry
dance-contre danse-contra dance-etc... connection is a prime example of
this) or if that failed, invent something (such as the French fake
Scottish "eccosaise").

When it comes to the jig, the agreed upon "truth" during the 19th and
early 20th Centuries was that the British jig came from the giga of the
Italian baroque suite, although it's obviously the other way around. But
then again, that was the dark age of musicology and you shouldn't take
*anything* written in any music history books during that period
seriously unless confirmed by more reliable sources.
That being said, the jig - as we know it from the Elizabethan period and
onwards - *is* strikingly similar to the sarabande, the canario, one of
the two most important dances knwon as "tarantella" and a couple of
other Spanish and Italian dances. So far nobody has come up with any
connection, but I think there *has* to be.

The term "jig" seems to have been originally used as a common term for
most any uptempo dance with lots of jumpin' and jivin' and jiggn'. One
of the best known mid-16th C. jigs, Kemp's jig, shows no resemblance at
all to the modern jig, but is a dead ringer for a rujero. (Concidering
the fact that it's named after a famous actor/dancer/performer, it's
probably a set dance anyway.)

X:1
T:Kemp's jig
C:anon.
O:England
Z:Transcribed by Frank Nordberg - http://www.musicaviva.com
N:Slightly simplified version
M:C
L:1/4
K:D
"D"f>e f"A"e|"Bm"d>e d"A"c|"G"B"D"A "G"B"A"c|"D"d3z:|
|:"D"fa fa|"D"fa/g/ f2|"C"eg eg|"C"ed/=c/ "G"B"A"^c|
"D"dAFA dAFA|"G"B"D"A "G"B"A"c|"D"d3z:|

Frank
http://www.musicaviva.com

To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html