[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Are there any abc archives out there which indicate what chords to play for tunes
>from the O'Neill books?

Not yet. That is, there are individual tunes from the O'Neill collection
with chords all over the web, but nobody has yet taken the job to add
chords to everything.

For the benefit of recent subscribers to abcusers, here's a short
outline of the history of the O'Neill projects:
A group of people lead (eventually) by John Chambers made a joint effort
to transcribe O'Neill's "Music of Ireland" ("O'Neill's 1850"). While
that work was in progress, me and Paul Kinder transcribed "Dance Music
of Ireland" ("O'Neill's 1001") and "Waifs and Strays" respectively.
The three projects was originally independent of each other, but
eventually ended up as a big "O'Neill" project at John Chamber's site
(soon to be mirrored at Musica Viva).

All the O'Neill ABCs are basically "urtext", that is they include the
tunes the way O'Neill published them with as little as possible added or omitted.

The next logical step would, of course, be to create a critical edition
of all three collections. That is easier said than done, though, partly
because of the sheer volume of music (3186 ABCs!), but also because of
the responsibility the editor(s) would have to accept. There's lots of
ambiguity in the O'Neill books and who's got the nerve and right to
claim that his or her interpretation is the "correct" one?

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com