> Probably what they're doing is trying to trick people into signing
> up for their service.

It looked to me like another of those "we're the sysadmins so send
us your password" scams - they're trying to hijack ICQ accounts.
Same general procedure as the Nigerian bank account hackers.

Quite what you can do with a stolen ICQ account I have no idea.
Perhaps if the account is used for confidential transactions by
someone like a doctor, solicitor, prostitute or financial adviser,
you could acquire some data that might be worth money if exploited
in the right way.