I haven't messed with music in pdf enough to be sure if it can happen, but
if a staff line is only a single row of pixels then simple-minded algorithms
can sometimes drop the row altogether and that is a complete disaster.

Incidentally, I make sure that I keep the master copies of the music for our
band BOTH as hard copies and as electronic files (Muse rather than ABC, but
the principle is the same).  One favourite trick of ink-jet printers is to
develop a blocked jet and this can do horrible things to horizontal lines of
staffs.  You tend to notice them at gigs when you suddenly realise the music
is unreadable.  Top or bottom lines are deadly, but the in-between ones are
pretty bad too.  I thought that photocopiers were immune to this, but I
recently went to a workshop where the chap who ran it (Dave Brown) had
printed one master copy of the music and photocopied it many times to hand
out to the participants.  He described it as a "high quality" photocopier.
It must have been a really high-tech one that rasterised the image.  It also
must have had the page horizontally aligned to high precision because it
managed to lose staff lines.  On one page you could actually see the line
fading out as it went across the page and on another (presumably later) copy
of the same page there was no trace of it at all.

A little mis-alignment would have worked wonders!

I know this is pretty tangential to ABC, but I thought it might be of
interest.

Laurie