:! We need:
:!     * transposition (which understands the mode of what's being
:!       transposed)
: Why does transposition need to understand the mode?

I had in mind a problem with the way BarFly used to transpose.  If the
tune is *strictly* in a mode it worked okay, but if you transposed a
tune with accidentals, it was anybody's guess how it would decide to
name them - if you had an F sharp in a G minor tune, it might end up
as B flat if you transposed it to B minor, and the program would then
need to put a natural in front of the next B in the bar, with similar
cascades of weirdness throughout the tune (this looked particularly
bizarre if you had a sharpened gracenote like that).  I think this
is fixed now, at least I just tried a few tunes with accidentals and
couldn't get it to happen; I presume the program now realizes that
such an F sharp is a sharpened seventh rather than a flattened tonic,
and represents it accordingly when transposing it.

(BTW, it just occurred to me that there is a neat way of representing
modal transposition using category theory - will try to write it up).

I mentioned this a long time ago in the context of K:none.  For atonal
music a different rule applies: just pick the simplest way to represent
the accidentals when transposing.  You transpose by an interval rather
than from one key to another, and if you transpose F sharp down a minor
third, it goes to E flat, not D sharp.

>> Currently, the abc2midi transposer only understands the key
>> signature.  So if I have a piece in D dorian, and I transpose
>> it up 3 half notes, the transposed output is in Ab.  It should
>> be in F dorian.
> This is an inevitable consequence of using tonic/mode in the K: command.

It's not inevitable because BarFly gets it right (and always has done
from the earliest version I used).  Mode is preserved under transposition.
It's a source-to-source transformation so it's hardly rocket science to
preserve it.

I don't quite see how this matters to abc2midi.  MIDI doesn't have any
concept of mode, does it?