Jack Campin wrote -

>As others have pointed out, the description of a tune purely by key
>signature isn't complete unless you are using equal temperament; you
>don't know the exact pitches of the notes unless you know the mode.

As I have pointed out, the mode is in the tune and may vary as it goes along.
 I had always understood that the exact pitch of a note depended on its
relationship to other notes and its context within the tune.  It is a matter
of performance and artistic judgement not simply the result of running a
computer algorithm and, as others have pointed out, deviations from even
temperament by traditional players do not necessarily follow obvious rules.
That is why human performance will always surpass computers.  While playing
with just temperament might be an interesting programming exercise I hardly
think it is a good reason to limit the development of abc.

I don't want to go over the rest of his post in detail except to say that it
is centred on the academic establishment view of traditional music and has
little to do with the real people who left us this heritage.  (I'm glad to
discover that he doesn't think that ALL classically trained musicians are
contemptible.)

>See Lloyd's preface to the Penguin Book of English Folk Songs

OK, not being a singer I missed that one.  None of the EFDSS tune collections
I have mention modes.

Laurie Griffiths wrote -

>That of course is stretching the phrase "knowing anything about" to breaking
>point.  They knew the scales and they knew how to harmonise them.  They just
>didn't know the Greek names.  Shakespeare's Theorem applies: "A mode by any
>other name will sound as sweet."

Precisely the point I am making.  They got all the information they needed
from the notes of the tune.  They could manage perfectly well without being
told the Greek name for it.  To force their music into the Renaissance modal
system runs the risk of misrepresenting them just as much as forcing it into
the major/minor system.  I can easily imagine some academic saying "That's
obviously meant to be Lydian but they've got it wrong."  The notes they
actually sang or played (if we have them) are the only certain truth.

Bryan Creer