Robert Bley-Vroman wrote -

>Will major-scale tune with some flatted sevenths be transcribed with the
flatted
>seventh as part of the key signature, or with the flatted sevenths
>indicated as accidentals within the body of the tune?

Whichever you like as long as you specify all the notes unambiguosly.

>With gapped scales: Will a tune with a missing seventh
>be called ionian or mixolydian in the key+mode system?

Why should it be called either since it's not a heptatonic scale?  What is
the pitch of a silent note?  What is the sound of one hand clapping?  How
such a tune would be harmonised is the choice of the performer not part of
the specification of the tune.

>The larger point is this: Music notation is primarily something that is
>used by particular musicians with particular backgrounds in particular
>contexts.

Which is why trying to enforce the tonic/mode system on everybody is wrong.
An explicit key signature is much more general and value free.

Robert Bley-Vroman did not call anybody a jerk in this posting.

John Chambers wrote -

>Nobody has suggested replacing K:tonic+mode with K:signature.

Unfortunately Bruce Olson did say -

>That's one more reason why I'd like
>to see the key-mode in K: eliminated; we can cut out ambiguity in
>notation and put in into interpretation where it belongs

       so my prediction that nobody would ever say anything of the sort was
wrong.
While I agree with almost all the bits I understand of what he says I dissent
from this.  Clearly the tonic/mode format cannot be eliminated now that it
has passed into use which is the point I was making when I first raised the
subject.

If a system to allow the notation of a sharps/flats key signature and tonic
and mode information at the same time had been introduced in the first place
we would have been saved all this pain.  I don't know if it is now possible.
John Chambers' proposed system does not allow it.

Bryan Creer