Robert Bley-Vroman wrote:
>> My comments interspersed

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:03:43 -0700
From: Robert Bley-Vroman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [abcusers] RE: Explicit key signatures

For what it's worth:  In any notation system, one must make a distinction
between what the notation permits and what conventional good practice is.
It seems inevitable that abc will have to permit key signatures that are
simply lists of sharps and flats, simply because people are going to want
to transcribe music that doesn't fit traditional key+mode designations.

Given that, it will be possible, in principle, to use this technique even
in completely straightforward traditional keys. A transcriber will be able
to write K:^f^c instead of K:D (or instead of K:Edor or K:Bm).

The question arises of what good practice would be. As a frequent user of
abc transcriptions, I'd much rather see K:D in  a tune file than K:^f^c.
It's easier to read and provides more information directly. It's generally
more  _useful_. It's not an accident that when the guitarist asks the key
of the tune coming up, the other musicians call out "D" rather than
"signature has f-sharp and c-sharp".

(An interesting study would be what practicing musicians call out. I've
found that for an E dorian tune, musicians will say to each other "It's one
of them Em-D tunes." For A mix, they say "One of them A-G tunes." Or, "like
Old Joe Clark".)
>>As a (contradance) player and tune collector of British Isles trad music
>>who has played backup in the past and now plays a melody instrument, I'd try
>>calling out "mode and key"  if it's simple, or "Mainly Em-D-Bm but watch
>>out for the pass through G major in the second part" or "Mainly Em-D-Bm
>>but watch for the Em-A tradeoff in bar 2, like in 'Dancing Bear' "

I would hope that transcribers would use the key+mode system when they can,
though of course no one can force them to, and we can't legislate it in a
standards document. Just as some computer programmers have a reputation for
writing (and formatting and commenting) code so that it is easy to read and
understand, and some have a reputation for ugly code with weird
indentations and cryptic comments, so some abc transcribers will write abc
that users like to work with, and others will write hard-to-use (though
technically grammatical) transcriptions. When I encounter a transcription
that uses K:^f^c or K:D for an obvious E dorian tune, I will say "What a
pain! Who is this jerk anyway? Oh, him again!"
>>Give them hell!!

(The distinction between what a notation technically permits and what good
practice is also applies to traditional staff notation, of course. If all
you're concerned with is that the right notes be sounded in the right
order, with the right durations, then in staff notation you could
transcribe a C-major piece with a key signature of two sharps and explicit
naturals throughout the piece. It's  'grammatical', but it's hardly good
practice. It's certainly confusing, and arguably misleading, like using K:D
for an E dorian piece in abc notation. ......)

In addition to providing a method of writing tunes, an incidental effect of
any notation system is educational. The fact that abc uses key+mode has
helped many people gain a better understanding of traditional music. This
is a Good Thing.
>>Amen, bro!

So, while we're probably going to have to extend the K: field to permit
lists of sharps and flats
>>Yes, there are enough tunes around where the mode is hard to establish,
>>or a subject of varying opinion, so it's really handy to just be literal
>>about the sharps and flats.
I predict that ordinary users will greatly
prefer the key+mode system wherever it is possible. Transcribers who are
interested in writing useful abc would be well-advised to use it, and use
it correctly.. (Otherwise, think of all those nice people saying "Who is
this jerk anway?")
>>I certainly agree, at least for the British Isles/U.S./Canadian music
>>I work with, that this is the preferred or default way of doing things
>>"wherever it is possible". That's all based on the fact that in those
>>genre, _most_ tunes "live in their modes", within small variations
>>representable by a few accidentals.
>>
>>Otoh there are a substantially many tunes around, even in the abovementioned
>>genre, which follow "classical" minor progressions (eg different ascending
>>than when descending, or third note lowered but not 6th and 7th), where it
>>is imo very clumsy to force-fit them into mix or dor or aeol. For such
>>tunes, K:^f^g or K:none (w/ all "black keys" as "accidentals" in-line) may
>>be the only way to go.

Phil Katz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
tel: 206 722 8228 (noon - midnight Pacific time is best)
3720 41st Avenue South
Seattle WA 98144 USA