[ABC software to run off a CD via a network at a public library terminal]
> I'd be happy to let Skink be used for that purpose - it will directly
> open a URL (use the Fetch menu selection from the File menu).  It is,
> however, a reasonably fully-featured text editor, so would it be
> necessary or desirable to disable some of that functionality?

I don't think so.  It's up to the sysadmins at the library to protect
their files from undesired modifications.  The question is whether the
application itself needs write access to local files - whether the
library's security policies will stop the software from working.  For
a Java-based program I assume there shouldn't be a problem.

While this particular use for ABC software is only going to account for
a minute number of seats, it seems to me that might be a productive
exercise to support it; finding out exactly what OS and filesystem
privileges your program really needs should lead to better-understood
and more stable software.

I suspect BarFly will throw a fit if it finds it can't modify a prefs
file, but I've no way to test that (the obvious route is to run the
application and OS together off a bootable CD).  Shouldn't be hard to
keep the prefs information entirely in-core, though? - you certainly
don't want users at a public terminal modifying it permanently.

Windows software generally uses the central registry, doesn't it?  But
there are so many CDs out there using obscure proprietary presentation
engines undeclared on the box that they can't *all* be treated as trusted
code, surely?