Jack Campin wrote -

>> OK, I'm with you and it's growing on me.  It would be necessary for
>> something I saw the other day which would need to be written
>> [d6z2]2[B2G2][B2G2] although there would still need to be intelligence
>> within the programme to recognise that the two Bs were not melody notes.
>
>Do you mean the B's are tied or printed as one note?

It's a bit difficult to explain without diagrams and waving your arms around.
 [d6z2]2[B2G2][B2G2] represents one bar of 3/4 time.  The d6 is a dotted
minim over a crotchet rest.  The [B2G2]s are two separate (untied) crotchet
length chords.  A classic Dum Ching Ching rhythm with the Dum sustained for
the whole bar.  Your absorptive-tie idea strikes me as a less than intuitive
way of representing this.  [d6z2][B2G2][B2G2] would work for "shortest note".
 [z2d6][B2G2][B2G2] would work for "first listed note" and "shortest note".
None of them make sense for "first listed note = melody note".

Bryan Creer