Laurie wrote:
> ... but we need to understand what this might mean.
>
> X:0
> T:Three blind mice
> L:1/8
> M:4/4
> K:Gmaj
> Q:1/4=240
> [B4 d]fed [A4c]edc | [G8 B/]c/B/c/ B/c/B/c/ B4 ||
> w:Three blind mice
>
> My understanding is that "Three" would matches "B4" and
> therefore "fed"
> would get by-passed as we count up to 4.  Then "blind" would
> match "A4" so
> "edc" are by-passed then "mice" matches "G8" and the 8 count
> takes us all
> the way to the end.  Is that what people had in mind?

In ABC it looks strange but it is clear which word belongs
to which note. So the word can take its length from this note.
But if imagine it as printed music: you don't know which
notes lead from the "Three" to the blind.
Is it the |B4... or the |defd .. ?
If you have to be clear, a way out could be:
 "stems up for melody" or "small heads for non-melody".
But these switches can go to the abc2ps options or somewhere.
 (with first=melody) it as printend music:
Humans will recognize the  |B4 A4|G8||  as the melody.
The  |dfed cedc|B/c/B/c/ B/c/B/c/ B4||  become accompniment in you
brain.

How it looks printed is the one thing.
The other is the trouble you have when writing the ABC source:
Back to the "Three Blind Mice". Say you decide to sing the
fast melody instead of the slow. Then you must write:

    [dB4]fed [cA4]edc | [B/G8]c/B/c/ B/c/B/c/ B4 ||
    w:Three___ blind___ mice________

When you print this, shouldn't look very different.
May be some note heads change their size. The words
will go to the same place. But maintaining the ABC is horror!
*Only* to avoid this, I thought explicite length indicators
in the w:-lines whould be good (and readable):

  w: Three<4> blind<4> | mice<8>
  w: (Twen-ty se-ven)<4> blind<4> | mice<8>

Now you can change the notes as often as wild as you want.
Of course I would allow also Bla</2> and so on.

Toni