RJP wrote:
| On 24 Oct 02 5:16 pm, John Chambers wrote:
| > Maybe some day we'll all have full music software on our pocket  comm
| > gadgets.
| A tin whistle / Harmonica in the pocket is easier... (apart from the fluff)

At musical events, I often have a whistle  or  three  tucked  into  a
belt.   If  people  ask  about  them,  I can grab one, hold it like a
stiletto, and warn them to not give me any flack about wrong notes.

Well, it does get a few grins.

Too bad my whistles only know how to play tunes that I  know.   You'd
think that after all these centuries, they could make them smarter.

| > to  always  use  fancy music software, the Lilypond and MusicML folks
| > are going to give you something much more  powerful  than  ABC.   The
| > value  of  ABC is that it's simple, typable, and readable without any
| > special software.  If we lose that, we will have lost one of the main
| > reasons that ABC came into existence in the first place.
|
| Something like Sibelius is just NOT going to be matched where
| complex musical notation is concerned.

Don't bet on that. The "Open Source" model is showing a strong record
of producing software that radically outperforms commercial products.
This is starting to become a  real  embarrassment  to  the  corporate
culture.   It's  why  the  Big  Guys are starting to use politics and
regulation to ensure that only corporate software is permitted. Thus,
if things like Lilypond can be blocked by the proposed DRM mechanism,
then Sibelius and other "approved" packages will win by default. It's
highly likely that the musical amateurs will produce much more useful
tools, but you may not be permitted to use them.

| What might be useful is an import / export facility for ABC
| that could be worth doing I reckon.

Yeah. It's basically like the situation with Word Processor software.
They  are  all  forced  to input and export plain text, no matter how
much they'd like to block such text.  If  I'm  selling  a  commercial
package,  I'd  much  prefer  that  you can only use the files with my
software. That way, you (and your friends) have to keep paying me, or
your files become unusable. But a plain-text notation like ABC throws
a monkey wrench into such plans.  If you can write your music as ABC,
you  can use your files without any special tools at all, and you can
import the tunes into a competitor's package.

Of course, as with the plain-text vs word-processor debate, ABC lacks
most of the fancy music formatting of some other packages.  But if we
can keep it that  way,  with  "just  the  music"  and  a  minimum  of
formatting  stuff,  then  ABC will probably live for a long time, for
the same reason that we'll have plain-text files around  for  a  long
time  despite  all  the  efforts  of  the  Word  Processor vendors to
discourage or block its use.