Frank Nordberg wrote:
> Jon Freeman wrote:
> >
> > You will probably get better answers but I would suggest scale
length and
> > frets are the clue with the tenor running from somewhere round about
20" for
> > a short scale 17 fret job to maybe 23" for a 19 fretter compared to,
I think
> > around 26/27" for a 5 string or plecturm.
>
> Thanks Jon.
> Mine has 20 frets and a little less han 23" scale length and sounds
> really nice in "octave-mandolin tuning".
> It solved another "problem" I've had recently too, btw. I never could
> decide whether I preferred playing Gilderoy on the mandolin
> or on the guitar...
>
> One more question:
> Would you consider the Irish and The New Orleans tenor banjos as two
> different instruments?
>

> > Tuning, are you sure you had strings suited to the tuning you tried?
>
> The only type of four-string set I've ever seen in a Norwegian music
> store, is D'Addario's set for New Orleans-tuning, and it definitely
> doesn't work tuned that high on a 23" scale instrument.
> A friend of mine who is the Norwegian distributor of GHS and
> a couple of
> other string brands, have promised me he can get strings for any
> stringed instrument that exists, though, so I guess I can
> sort this out
> now that I know what to ask for.

Hi, I had the same problem in Germany to find the right strings.
Usually you can get 3 types of strings (CGDA for tenor, EADGBE for
guitar-bjo and strings for 5-string-bjo).
I got a nice 4-string-banjo. 18 frets. I don't know the exact length at
the moment but I think it's nearly 3cm shorter than what we call a
tenor-banjo around here.
I tune it GDAE (octave-mandolin) but I had to look a while for suitable
strings.
Now I use the C-, G- and D-string of a tenor-banjo-set as D-,A- and
E-string.
As a G-string I use the lower E-string of a guitar-banjo (I think about
63cm length).
This works realy good, the strings have nearly the same tension as they
were desinged for.

There are some Dixieland-banjo-players around here. Most of them don't
play
CGDA on their tenor-banjos. They tune down to BbFCG. Makes it much
easier to
play in keys like Eb, Bb, F, C. But the second reason is, that in
CGDA-tuning the
A-string breaks very often.
Btw. with capo=1 one a GDAE-bjo it's easy to change from Irisch music to
Dixieland.

Toni